Sunday, February 28, 2016

#funwithfiction

I may have mentioned that the kids and I are working on a huge social media campaign. We are EXCITED to get started but a lot of prep work goes into these things and we don't want to rush it. However, we thought it would be fun to take a break from what we are doing to offer up some teasers.

Maddox as Starlord, Autumn as the 4th Doctor
Sox as the 10th Doctor

It's no secret that we LOVE to cosplay. From Thorin Oakenshield to the 10th Doctor, the Mad Hatter to Starlord, we love our fandoms. So what better way to leave our mark on the social media universe than #funwithfiction where we give fictional characters our family twist?





In light of the Yaya Han fabric line making its debut at JoAnn stores  and the subsequent frustration over the overpriced, disappointingly poor quality fabrics, we decided to put more effort into documenting our costumes and process. While I could dedicate an entire post to my issues with people like Yaya and their role in destroying the spirit of cosplay, I've decided to skip that negative road and focus on the joy it brings to our lives. 

First, I'm a single mom struggling to make ends meet so we don't have a load of money to put into our costumes. This simply means we need to get creative and use materials and items we CAN fit into our meager budget. Would we love to make incredible pieces with the perfect fabrics? Heck yes! I long to recreate the green velvet dress worn by Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With the Wind but unfortunately, my mom does not have yards upon yards of lush green curtains for me to tear down and repurpose. Beyond that, I have designs for gowns and costumes requiring robotics and lights but at this point we just can't make those happen. Still, I do what I can with what I have and the kids have yet to complain. 

Maddox as Frodo Baggins
Autumn in her element
I think my munchkins are in direct competition with each other to select the costume that ultimately stumps me. Autumn almost did with Thorin but I got REALLY creative and used an old bridesmaids dress from my sister as well as the Bellatrix Lestrange costume I wore a few years back to build most of the costume. With a 60% off coupon I grabbed up some faux fur and hand painted the armor details onto the pieces rather than build them (though I do know how to). The end result pleased my kiddo and was lightweight enough for her to trick or treat in. We considered gender-bending Thorin but Autumn didn't want to and as time has passed, she has no problems cosplaying classically male characters because she sees it as a challenge. I will give away a little secret - Autumn has plans for a female Gepetto that will blow your mind if she can pull it off.

In the meantime, we are working on something a bit different.....can you guess what Autumn is creating?



No comments:

Post a Comment