Wednesday, March 19, 2014

TARDIS dress

I cannot wait to finish this costume!!  It is going to be so fun to wear and I am so excited to show it off!  I figured it is time to start the breakdown since there are so many pieces and each one is so complex.  Instead of doing a one piece gown I opted for a skirt and corset with a hooded shrug.  All three pieces are primarily blue cotton to keep them a bit lighter and more casual than some of the satin and brocade pieces I've seen.  Some of my inspiration came from a number of dresses I found while researching ideas and I'm sure some of the influences shown below will be apparent when I reveal the complete costume.

This article gives some fantastic ideas though I am particularly fond of 2, 6, 7 and 10.  I hope my dress could be found worthy of this list eventually!

Top 10 TARDIS dresses for fancy occasions

I think this one is pretty stunning:

TARDIS dress by Eveningarwen on deviantART

There are of course many more options to be seen by searching "TARDIS dresses" and there are some in nearly every style.  I tend to err on the side of Steampunk and I think you will see that with my finished pieces.  For now, I will post a few pictures to show where I'm going.

This is a close up of the upper bustle, you can see it is pinned at the top because I have not figured out how to attach it yet. I want it to be detachable.  I'm leaning toward using buttons.

This is a wider angle where the very bottom of the skirt can be seen under the second layer of the bustle made of a contrasting fabric (a lovely black cotton with charcoal swirls).

I tend to create my costumes by mixing and matching patterns and often combining pieces I like or parts of my current wardrobe to achieve the look I want.  For this outfit, I used these four patterns as my jumping off point though by no means did I stick to them or I would never have been able to create this.

McCall's 6911
Butterick 3012
Simplicity 9887
Simplicity 3921

I will have more to show soon since I have to have this ready to wear by March 29th!!

No comments:

Post a Comment