Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Book Review: 13 Ways of Looking at a Fat Girl

I didn't get it.

At all.



Honestly, I don't see how this book is getting so much acclaim. It did nothing for me and while I muddled through the story of the evolving "Fat Girl" I felt more annoyed than anything. Utterly and completely annoyed. Maybe that makes me a terrible person but I - as a fat girl myself - had a really tough time relating to the main character. It carried a "poor me" vibe and made it seem like fat girls will do anything to get attention and ultimately sex because that is how they are viewed, a poor, pitiful creatures who will take whatever comes their way.

The main character floats through time telling stories about how her best friend was promiscuous and dropped out of school, how she had an affair of some sort with older men, gross men, etc. Basically, the main character confuses sex with love and then doesn't know how to be happy even when she is thin. I don't feel that there is any indication of her learning to love herself and that should be the point.

Maybe I missed the point. I'm sure somebody out there will scream at me and tell me I did. Fine. But I'm gonna let that person have their opinion and I will hold onto mine. This book was crap and though it was suggested reading in a well-known magazine, I just didn't get the draw and I am SO grateful that I borrowed it from the library in stead of wasting my hard-earned money on it.

I'll give it 2 out of 5 top hats....and that's being generous.

No comments:

Post a Comment