Monday, May 9, 2016

Book Review: Church of Marvels

Meh. This was recommended reading in one of my writer's magazines and I'm not sure why to be honest. I picked it up at Barnes & Noble several times but never purchased it because of my uncertainty so instead, I checked it out from the library. It was the right choice.


The characters are generally interesting, definitely unique, and each notably flawed. However, I found some of them very difficult to relate to. Others, who I found most interesting, were underdeveloped and received far less time than others.

Plot-wise, there are some excellent twist and turns that keep the story alive. Still, the cadence was so uneven that it jarred me from the story on more than one occasion. I can't discuss much more than that here without giving up spoilers but if you read it, you'll see what I mean.

The ending was subpar in my book. This sad, gritty, painful story ended more like a fairy tale than a novel. Disappointing.

I give this 3 out of 5 top hats.

No comments:

Post a Comment