Monday, May 27, 2013

Girls' jeans to cute skirt

My daughter grew out of these jeans with her last growth spurt and they had holes in the knee but were otherwise in good shape so I opted to alter it a bit into a skirt.  This too is available in my Etsy shop and I hope to have more as she continues to grow.  It was pretty easy to do actually.

I cut off the pants to the desired length (well above the knee holes) and trimmed out the inseam.  It took a bit of trimming and tucking to make the pants lay right as a skirt but this was not overly complicated.  I should have taken pictures (*face palm*) of the whole process but it went so quickly I didn't even think about it.  Next, I took some cotton scraps I had (did not use more than a 1/4 of a yard) and cut it into strips a few inches wide.  I finished the lower edge of each strip and then machine-basted the top edge for gathering.  The strips had to be cut down so they could be layered in a pyramid shape and stitched into the skirt (front and back).  Lastly, I trimmed the bottom edge of the final ruffle and stitched it on the skirt.

Front of the skirt

Back of the skirt

No comments:

Post a Comment