Sunday, April 7, 2013

Broadening my horizons - crochet

I am loathe to admit it but I never learned to knit or crochet.  Yes, I am afraid it is true.   My mother knits some gorgeous scarves and I admit I have several of hers but I never took the time to learn myself.  Now that I am on Pinterest however, I keep seeing the most amazing crochet pieces.  But when I saw these, I realized I could not put it off any longer, I MUST learn to crochet:


That's what brought me to the yarn wall of my local craft store.  My awesome Mom had two random crochet hooks (sizes J & K) so she sent them to me along with an old "learn to crochet" booklet.   The book advised me to selected a medium 4 which I did - in a deep purple naturally.  My intent was to learn the basic stitches starting with the chain and slip stitches.  Between a youtube video (Naztazia - free video ) and my trusty booklet I learned the basic chain stitch and whipped up this:



I intend to make it into a wine cozy or mug warmer with a cute button and some embellishments.  I think I can whip up several of these and use them with complimentary fabrics to make some adorable - and handy - decorative pieces for gifts.  

I am on to new stitches and more complex options and I'll update as I go.  I'm hoping to teach myself a new stitch or trick each week or two and I will update as I go.

In the meantime, here are some handy little info pieces I found to be quite helpful.



UPDATE!

Finished it up, perfect little wine cozy!!





No comments:

Post a Comment