Wednesday, April 3, 2013

T-shirt Upcycle

I've seen this done a lot and really wanted to try it so here goes!

I used four t-shirts - one long-sleeved shirt and three short-sleeved shirts that are now too small for daughter.



One served as the base of the skirt by chopping off the very top (sleeves and collar) to make a tube.  I cut the screen-printed fronts off of the green shirts and put them aside for a quilt I intend to make later. The remainder I cut into strips - no ruler, no measuring, nothing but my scissors and my eyeballs!  Now, the fun part!  I stitched the first layer on in three parts like this:




It doesn't have to be perfect, that's the beauty of it.  Next, the second layer in a different color:



And another layer:




I added a few more layers until there was just enough room at the top to turn it over and create a casing for the elastic.  My daughter tried it on, twirled a time or two, jumped to make an imaginary basketball shot, and ran across the room.  Here it is:


No comments:

Post a Comment