Tuesday, March 12, 2013

DIY "potion" bottles

I like costumes.  It is so fun to dress up and be somebody else for a while.  In the past I have done some pretty elaborate costumes, diaper bags and purses, even custom clothes for myself and the kids.  Now that I am an author with more than one pen name, I find that I can put those skills to good use as I fashion wardrobes for each of my "personas."  For instance, as Violet Patterson I am author of the Emerald Seer Series, a paranormal romance/urban fantasy series geared for the 16 and over crowd.  As part of her gear I have opted to create some "potion" bottles. It was surprisingly easy and didn't take very long.  

So, here is what I used:

A small, empty bottle from Pom juice
nail file (I used disposable ones)
cord/twine
cotton balls
glitter
wood glue 
adornments of your choosing


Remove the lid and tab so you have just the plastic bottle.  Using your nail file rough up the outside of the bottle to remove the labels and give it a smoky appearance.  When you are done, it will look like this:


Use the wood glue around the top and then wrap the cording around so that it looks like a coiled rope.



I used wood glue to secure a bit of scrap suede (from another project) around the middle as well so the and attached a jewel to it for decoration.  

Tear up some cotton balls and drop them inside with glitter or embossing powder to get the appearance you are seeking.  I added a bit of chain, charms, and a cork.  Here are two of my favorites:


No comments:

Post a Comment