Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Healthy snack for a picky eater...

I have a picky eater.   There are not enough words to explain how particular my daughter is when it comes to food.  While I understand it is a control issue for her (and all the psych mumbo jumbo that goes with that rather simplistic explanation) it is a huge inconvenience for us and not particularly healthy for her.  So, needless to say, I have gotten VERY creative with expanding her diet (though she is unaware of what I am doing).  I found a recipe that kept popping up on PINTEREST (of course!) that claimed to be a healthy ice cream substitute - bananas, peanut butter, and cocoa powder.  These are three ingredients my daughter would love.  Wonderful! But, it is cold outside as it tends to be this time of year where we live.  Unwilling to give up on this brilliant idea for a healthy snack, I pondered the issue for a few days until it came to me.  What if I don't freeze the mix into ice cream?  What if I make it into a "dip" and bake some tortillas into chips?  Ah, how my brain went on and on until I arrived at this recipe.

Before I begin, here is the recipe site I went to (though I am sure it is on dozens of others).

Cocoa/PB/Banana Dip and Chips

Bananas (depends on size of the fruit and how much you intend to make, I used four)
1 TBSP Cocoa Powder
1 TBSP Peanut Butter
2 large tortillas
cinnamon and sugar
Olive Oil in a spray bottle
Oven preheated to 325 degrees.


I prepared the tortillas first.  Using my cool little olive oil spray bottle, I sprayed down the pan.  Cutting the tortillas is easy enough, but it was fun for the kids to fold them and tear them.  It worked well and they liked being involved.  One kiddo was allowed to spray the tortillas and the other sprinkled them with cinnamon and sugar then they switched for the second tray of tortillas.  I baked them for about 10 minutes but it may vary from oven to oven.  When they were done you could see the golden brown edges and they were crisp to the touch.



For the dip, I used a food processor but I would think a blender would work well enough.  It couldn't have been easier to prep the dip.  The kiddos broke the bananas into pieces and I measured out the peanut butter and cocoa and of course they took turns pressing the buttons on the food processor because, how cool is that?  It took almost no time to blend the dip perfectly.  I think the hardest part was waiting for the chips to cool enough for the kids to eat but, this is how it looked in the end.


Even my picky eater appreciated this snack! 

No comments:

Post a Comment