Friday, March 8, 2013

T-shirt Rug

I have seen several versions of these at craft shows, art fairs, and on PINTEREST of course.  I took a little bit from everything I've seen and read and created our own version.  

What we used:
1 baby blanket (cut in half, one for the pictured rug and one to be used for a second rug)
10 t-shirts (we used a variation of long-sleeved and short-sleeved, kids and adult sizes) 
scissors


First, we cut the hemmed trim off of the blanket and as noted above, cut it in half.


Next, the time consuming part, I cut the t-shirts into strips, you can see three of the piles here with a sample strip of each one.  My daughter helped me cut for a while so that we could get started.  Each strip is 1-1 1/2" wide by approximately as long as a pencil (we wanted ours to be rather shaggy).



I made the cuts in the blanket so that they would be evenly spaced, or close enough.


Then, the long part (and the reason it took two days to do this.... threading the pieces and tying them off.  Make sure that the pieces overlap as shown below.


This rug will be my daughter's and is made with white, black, purple, and teal  t-shirts.  We will be making one for my son as well (when we get some more t-shirts together!

Here is the finished product!!


It took some time but we are pleased with the outcome.  Autumn has it by her bed and she likes how soft it is.  I like that it is machine washable!

No comments:

Post a Comment