Monday, March 4, 2013

Sweater Upcycling!

Today's project is an adult-only project.  My daughter is VERY tall for her age which makes it difficult to find some of the more stylish clothing options for her.  But, I have a large pile of donations from my heavier days and a sewing machine and a bit of skill with said machine.  So, Voila! I give you a cowl neck sweater that used to fit me turned into a sweater dress for my munchkin!

Here is the sweater before alterations.  WAY too big for her.


So, I cut off the sleeves and a bit off the sides (which I kept for a later project).


I stitched up the sides with a decent sized hem allowance (about 3/4"), darted the shoulders a bit to keep the shape for her, finished the armholes by rolling under the edge a bit and stitching.  Easy peasy.  It took me all of twenty minutes.

Here is the finished sweater dress....


We have a lot of options for accessories (endless really) and she is planning to pair it with her jeggings.  Needless to say, I made my little girl happy today ;)

A few ideas we have for the remnants:

~ Fingerless gloves
~ Handles for a bag (I have one on mind that I am working on from another sweater I have)
~ Leg warmers
~ Fabric flowers for accessories
~ Headbands

2 comments:

  1. Amazing transformation! Such a great idea! Out of curiousity, how do you determine how much to dart the shoulder? I'm still learning how to sew with or without a pattern...it's been years yet somehow I'm still a novice.
    Another suggestion for sweater remnants for those with little ones are sweater leggings made from the sleeves! I have a friend who sells them on etsy :), she uses contrasting remnants for appliqués on the tush of the pants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I determined the darts based on how it fit Autumn. She tried it on (inside out) and I carefully pinned it, removed it, and stitched it.

      Delete